This list has been floating around the internet for quite awhile. To whomever wrote it originally, I salute you!
1. Respect others, even if they don't respect you. Later in life they may remember that respect.
2. Love with your whole heart. It may be broken, but you can't say that you never loved.
3. Treat animals with kindness, and it will be repaid to you a hundredfold.
4. Be honest with the people you love. Honesty really IS the best policy.
5. Admit your mistakes; it shows you are human.
6. Learn from your mistakes, but don't dwell on them. Negative thinking will only make you depressed -- and that's not good for you or those around you.
7. Tell your family often that you love them. You never know when it will be the last time you get to say it.
8. Never tell others that their dreams are stupid or dumb. Each of us is entitled to our dreams. Who are we to say they won't come true?
9. Realize that the only person you can change is yourself.
10. Be thankful for everything you have. Knowing you are blessed isn't arrogant or cocky if you're truly thankful for your blessings.