Thursday, October 3, 2013

Forgotten Poems Day 2

1977

Future Premonitions
           (To a Milkweed)

How much will the
common milkweed
have evolved in
three million years?

Will its ivory white
sap have turned
green as the result
of too many radioactive
particles in the air?

Will it have shrunk
to the size of the
Lilliputians of
Gulliver's Travels
or will it
have grown to giant
proportions to become
the national tree
of some future nation?

Ok so how corny was that? This reminded me of something that happened while I was living in Colorado Springs. I was out for a walk one day when I saw some milkweeds actually being grown as ornamentals. Coming from farmland USA it was WEIRD to the max. I stopped to smell the milkweeds every time I saw them after that. They are quite fragrant.

No comments: