Thursday, May 17, 2012

Zinnia Elegans



Get a zing from zinnias!
Zinnias are one of the easiest annuals to grow, grow quickly, and bloom heavily. They make a massive burst of color in your garden.
Zinnias have bright, solitary, daisy-like flowerheads on a single, erect stem. The most common zinnia is "dahlia-flowered" and grows up to three feet. Other types are "cactus-flowered."
Use in an annual or mixed border. Smaller zinnias are suitable for edging, windowboxes or other containers. The narrow-leaf zinnia also works well in hanging baskets.
Zinnias are very popular for cut flowers.


One of the flowers I remember my mom always growing is zinnias. I still love them. What other flower gives you so many colors and sizes and lasts so long in a vase? I have a few up and going out it the west farm garden but these are here at the house on the deck.



I was going to throw that planter thingy away. I think it was a record holder from the 50s or 60s. It came to me from the stuff I had in storage and I suspect it may have actually been Grandma Halley's. It sat on the garbage can to get set out but Brian and Deanna weren't sure so they left it. After I looked at it awhile I realized it would make a great planter. And so it is.

No comments: