Thursday, January 24, 2013

Creating Order from Chaos- The Unexpected Dishcloth Post

This past holiday season my friend, Laura, asked me a couple of times to make her some dishcloths in pastels to put in a bath type gift basket. I kept insisting that I didn't have those colors of cotton yarns but she could buy the yarn and I'd do it. I didn't hear back from her and the thought went the way of most things- right out of my mind.

I was cleaning/consolidating some of my craft supplies in anticipation of my big move to my own space (I'll miss my little pink room here but YAY! STUDIO!) when inspiration struck. Why not make my own dishcloth cotton yarn from the massive amount of crochet thread I bought over the summer? I was going to donate a bunch of it to the Yarn and Yak knitting group at the library but the more I looked at it the more I thought "This could work".

I ended up with a nice pile of dishcloth yarn, found an easily memorized pattern and made three lavender cloths in very short order. I got one big 30 gallon garbage bag of thread down to a 13 gallon bag (along with some owl hat yarn even). I still plan on donating another 13 gallon bag full to the knitting group. That still leaves me 362761473891643789154 skeins of yarn and balls of crochet thread so I think I'll be okay for a few months.


What I bought for $100 this summer






I still managed to let this thread and yarn go to the knitting group.


Knitting a dishcloth takes sooooooooooo much longer than crocheting one.

I took some yarn to my new place. Still have the bag of 100% wool here and whatever else is out in the shed. I plan on treasure hunting after lunch.


2 comments:

onthemove - klh said...

you are a clever woman! and I envy your stash.

darla said...

Becky your site is so cool !! I envy your productivity