Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Challenge Quilt Explained Day # 11/365





I finally finished the Challenge Quilt!! Can anyone say "Blood Sweat and Tears?"

Here is a run down of the rules and how I interpreted them

1. The 2009 Quilt Challenge is "Tropical Dreams" Your kit is $5 and includes a fat quarter of fabric, 3 paint chips and the rules.

Of course now I can't find the rest of the fat quarter...errrrrr..it's gotta be here somewhere. Well maybe I can get a pic of it in a block I didn't use. Ok yeah...it's the blue/green/wavy stuff next to the yellow in those blocks....

2. The design criteria for entry acceptance:

  • Technique(s) used in the construction of the quilt is your choice. Examples: hand or fusible applique, hand or machine pieced, foundation pieced,etc. The quilt must be hand or machine quilted by YOU> (Check...everything was done by me tyvm)
  • Visually present at least a 2"x2" piece of the fat quarter. You may use as much of this fabric as desired and additional fat quarters may be purchased (Check...got it in several of the ocean blocks)
  • Contain at least one color from each paint chip. 1 fabric for each paint chip (Check...the coral/pinks was the hardest but Jack and I figured it out together)
  • Contain at least on traditional black of your choosing. Examples :Log Cabin, Nine Patch, Snails Trail (Check...they're wonky but I have four patches in the corners)
  • Contain at least one tropical plant: Example: Palm Tree, Orchid, Hibiscus (Check...I used scrapbook stickers as my basis for these and embroidered some for good measure)
  • Contain at least one tropical animal, fish or sea shell. Example : Toucans, Parrots, Tigers (Check...I have sea shells, fish a monkey and a lizard.)
  • Maker must apply at least three forms of embellishments. Examples: buttons, coins,beads, etc. (Check, check and double CHECK LOL!)
  • Quilt finished size: minimum 30" x30" and maximum 60" x 60" (Check.... mine is 39" x 39")
  • A quilt label must be stitched or securely attached to the back lower edge (Check...gotter done)
Then blah blah blah other stuff...check check check...I did it! I did a challenge quilt! I take it to Ruth's Stitchery tomorrow and it will hang in the quilt sshow this weekend...then we vote on the top 8 at the next guild meeting, Oct 21, 2009...Those may go to National to compete against a multitude of Tropical Dreams.

8 comments:

onthemove - klh said...

beautiful work

Leslie said...

I know, I know it's all my fault for making you come to the guild. It's awesome and I so look forward to seeing it hang this weekend at the quilt show.

Rebecca Halley said...

hey having you have me come to guild is one of the best things that's ever happened to me! TYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!

Amy said...

Beautiful! Good luck! I'm so glad you joined StitchMap!

gocrazywithme said...

Way to go! I really like the saying on your quilt's label! Redefine success, sometimes that's the best thing to do...

Ira said...

Very beautiful. Great work

Anonymous said...

Love your quilt. Debbie S.

Rengin Yazitas said...

So nice, great work!