Friday, June 18, 2010

CQ Canvas Tutorial 257/365

Today I am sharing how I make my CQ canvases. They make stunning wall art!

Start with an 8x10 canvas or size of your choice. I got two for $3.59 at Michaels last week. I have used 11x14 in the past too.


You now need a CQ block that will cover the sides of the canvas. Mine was 10 1/2" x 12 1/2 "


Pick your trims


Embellish to your heart's content


Now you need to take a leap of faith! Spread some glossy Mod Podge on the canvas and center your block. Press down and start brushing glue on the top. It will dry clear. You must trust me on this!


Trim off excess fabric and added more layers of Mod Podge until it is as shiny as you want. Let dry between coats.

Hang it on the wall for all the world to admire!


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a fascinating idea! I have used Mod Podge but had never even considered using it on CQ like this. I am definitely going to give it a go. I have hung several canvasses which I have decorated myself around my home, so a CQ one would be a wonderful addition. Thanks so much for the idea!
Jocelyn

Jacque Strong said...

That is so beautiful. I have seen regular sane quilts applied to canvas like this. They made large (like a 3' circle) floor cloths. They are suppose to wipe clean with a damp cloth. Maybe I'll try a CQ one with no raised embellishments just seam stitches. Think it would work?

Rebecca Halley said...

I think it would work just fine...be sure and take pics when you do!

Shari said...

OM Goodness! What a concept. I would definitely have to take that leap of faith that you mention. But, I have lots of small cq blocks that I did years ago and are still stored in the drawers. I guess if I don't have them out to enjoy right now it would be worth trying on at least one. I bet it would be a good thing to take to my mom in the nursing home. She would enjoy the 'art' and it could be cleaned by the staff if it got dusty. Thanks for the idea. You are too clever sometimes.

Unknown said...

That's awesome! I love the texture.

Leslie said...

So that's how you do it. Great tute, BTW. Internet woes resolved, then?

craftirn said...

A bit scary to Mod Podge over something that takes so much time and effort. I think I would have to sacrifice a bad piece first to make sure it is OK. Thanks for the idea!
Barb

Rebecca Halley said...

Actually there's no more time and effort in embellishing the blocks than say, knitting a dishcloth. It doesn't have to be perfect and whatever you do will impress the hell out of anyone who sees it!

allie aller said...

I am going to have to try this...what an unexpected idea!

I love the header of your blog, too...!